Tuesday, March 17, 2009

AKAKA: VA, NOT PRIVATE INSURERS, ARE OBLIGATED TO PAY FOR COMBAT INJURIES

AKAKA: VA, NOT PRIVATE INSURERS, ARE OBLIGATED TO PAY FOR COMBAT INJURIES



WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Daniel K. Akaka (D-HI), Chairman of the Veterans’ Affairs Committee, issued the following statement today in opposition to a proposal to shift the responsibility to pay for care for service-connected injuries from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to the private insurers of wounded veterans:



“VA’s sacred duty is to care for veterans injured in honorable service to our nation, and the department should not turn to wounded warriors’ private insurance to pay for combat injures. Under my Chairmanship, the Veterans’ Affairs Committee will not advance any such legislation,” said Akaka.



Akaka’s statement follows the submission of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee’s views and estimates on the budget to the Senate Budget Committee yesterday. The views and estimates were signed by Chairman Akaka, Ranking Member Richard Burr, and a majority of the Committee members. Last week, Akaka applauded the overall increase President Obama has proposed for VA, as well as his plans to improve services, expand care, and target problem areas within the Department.



-END-

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

People are getting worked up over nothing Congress and the senate will NEVER authorize 3rd party billing for service connected injuries, they may change the rules for 100% veterans and make insurance compnaies pay for non service connected issues, but veterans like me were told that when I was rated 100% P&T that the VA would take take of all of my health issues, regardless of SC or not, my body belonged to Uncle Sam, I didn't even sign up for Part B of medicare since the VA is responsible for my healthcare why should I spend my money for Part B when it's not required, we were promised life time health care if we became totally disabled by military service, it would seem that is the VA wants 3rd party payments they should pay the insurance premiums since they are going to be the beneficiaries of the benefits, it does not help my family or myself in any way that I can see. If The VA wants me to have Medicare part B they should pay for it.

Sphere: Related Content